Monday, May 13, 2013


“Shadowlark” by, Meagan Spooner
(This is the second book in a trilogy so it contains spoilers.)

                Lark Ainsley has left the Iron Wood behind her with Tansy and Nix in tow. She is more determined than ever to find her brother Basil and finally figure out what was done to her by the architects. When the trio wanders into a town that has been overrun by shadow people they try to make a run for it. Trapped by the shadows and fearing the worst, Lark and Tansy are unexpectedly saved by shadow Oren. Just when Lark thinks they might be safe, they are taken captive by several armed strangers who take them to an underground city called Lethe. With more questions then answers and dangers around every turn, Lark begins to fear that she will never find her brother or a place where she will be safe.

I absolutely loved this story and I’ll be on pins and needles waiting for the third and final book. Here are just a few of the reasons why I loved “Shadowlark”:

*Oren is one of my favorite characters, and I’m including the other books I’ve read when I say that. I love the fact that he is so connected to Lark that he can see her light even when he is lost in shadow. He tells her that he will follow her anywhere and he does. He keeps her safe even when he doesn’t know who he is and he would give up his life for her. I love how strong and true he is. (“You’re the only thing that keeps me human. But if I woke tomorrow completely cured and whole, I would still follow you anywhere.”) Not an exact quote. It’s so romantic.

* Nix is suppose to be just a machine, but through Lark it becomes much more than that to the reader. It is very much another character that you grow to love. When it’s hurt you hold your breath waiting to see if it’s okay. It’s wonderful to see how Lark and Nix relate to each other and how the other characters react to it. Nix is a very special creation.

* Wesley is a nice addition to this trilogy. He is sort of a father figure and teacher to Lark. She wants to help him and is hurt when she feels she has let him down. He tells Lark…”You did what your instincts told you to do. Survive, at whatever cost. It’s hardwired into us, it doesn’t make us monsters.” Not an exact quote.  Wonderful!     

*”Magic doesn’t give you a weapon, it gives you a choice.” (Love it)

I felt so many things while reading this book. (Fear, anger, sadness, anxiety, and happiness) I really can’t say enough good things about this trilogy and I think that everyone should read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment