Wednesday, May 29, 2013


“Strange Places” by, Jefferson Smith

                Tayna is a thirteen year old orphan who has grown up in the Good Sisters Orphanage since she was three. Sister Regalia runs the orphanage and she is a nasty piece of work. She keeps a group of girls she calls the “Unlovables” on the fifth floor away from the rest of the orphans and makes them do all the chores.

One day a mysterious stranger comes to the orphanage. Eliza (Lies), Tayna’s best friend, overhears a threat to Tayna’s life and helps her escape. Afraid and on the run, Tayna runs into a man who calls himself “The Watcher”. With one dangerous man chasing after her and a second offering to answer some of her questions about her real family Tayna has no choice but to trust her heart and travel to a land that she never knew existed.

                This book was a winner for me on many levels. Strange Places has many varied and complex characters that I love, great world building, and an interesting plot. The story kept my interest until the very last page and I was sorry to see it end.

*Lord Angiron is creepy and sinister.

*Eliza is a very sweet and funny girl. I hope I get to read more about her in book #2.

*Veest is mysterious and is the perfect character to introduce Tayna to her new world.

*I really liked Methilien, the world that Tayna is taken to. Three races live in Methilien, the Wasketchin, the Djin, and the Gnomileshi.

*Elicand is a Wasketchin boy that befriends Tayna and he is very cute. He decided to travel with her on her quest and he adds a lot of fun to the story.

*Abeni is a Djin and he is one of my favorite characters. He becomes not only Tayna’s protector but also her friend. He is a man I would want by my side if I were on an adventure.

*The Gnomes are strange and disgusting. The description of their homes made my skin crawl.

I really enjoyed this story and the ending left me wanting to know what happens next. Book two “Strange People” is in the works and I am very excited to read more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment