Sunday, August 5, 2012


“Skylark” by, Meagan Spooner.

                Lark Ainsley has grown up in a place where magic is real and it controls everything. This magic is called resource and it’s harvested from the citizens to help run the city. The story begins with Lark finding out that it’s her turn to be harvested and assigned a career. Lark is very excited and can’t wait to start her adult life. The citizens are born with a certain amount of resource and consequently are only harvested once. However there are rumors of renewables, special people who are born with resource that doesn’t run out. When Lark realizes that she is a renewable her life becomes a frightening fight for survival.
I want to start by saying that this book gripped me from the first page. Meagan Spooner’s storytelling is magical and gritty. I had a few moments where I had to put the book down and just take a breath because the story was so intense. I struggled right along with Lark as she traveled through a world that terrified her at every turn.
While fleeing, Lark meets Oren, a wild boy that is drawn to Lark and reluctantly decides to help her.  Oren has been alone for a very long time and Lark makes him feel normal again. He is afraid to need her but he is undeniably drawn to her. Lark learns from Oren and through him she finds a new strength and purpose. The world building in this story is wonderful! “Skylark” is a perfect blend of fantasy and dystopian writing.
I have read and loved many books but not all of them make me want to take a sick day just so I can stay home and read. This book did! It would freak me out to have to live in this world but I can’t wait for the next book in this series so I can revisit it from the safety of my bed. Meagan Spooner is amazing and is a great addition to my favorite’s shelf. 


No comments:

Post a Comment