Sunday, August 5, 2012


“Spark” by, Amy Kathleen Ryan. (Book #2 of the Sky Chasers series)

Since this is the second book in the series I will do a little recap. The sky chasers series is set in space on two sister ships called the New Horizon and the Empyrean. The two ships are sent into space to colonize the new earth. The New Horizon is sent first with the Empyrean following a year later. In “Glow” (Book #1) we are introduced to Waverly, Kieran, Seth, Anne Mather, and a host of other phenomenal characters. The two ships meet in space (which wasn’t supposed to happen until they landed on new earth) and the trouble begins.  
This is a difficult review for me to write because so much can be given away if I say the wrong thing. I was skeptical when I was given the first book in this series but the plot sounded interesting. It wasn’t long before I realized what a gem I held in my hands. I think I read “Glow” in one evening and it was thrilling. I was waiting not so patiently for the release of “Spark” when I was sent an advanced copy from a wonderful lady at St. Martins (To say I was excited is an understatement). I read “Spark” in two days and that is only because I had to work. Not wanting to give too much about the story away, I am just going to touch on a few of the characters.
*Waverly is complex and stunning. My heart breaks for her and fights along side her throughout these books. She is very young and is forced to make decisions that most adults wouldn’t be able to face. Watching her harden and change as the story progresses is painful because I want to help her and protect her. I love her.
*Seth is a very smart boy who grew up with a brutal father. He goes through a fairly big transformation in these first two books and I think he is a contender for my favorite character. I love how clever he is and he brings some humor into this heavy series.
*Kieran is basically a good guy who believes that he is doing the best for his people but he has these flashes of darkness that send a chill up your spine. I found myself liking him one minute and hating him the next. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
“Spark” is a flawless addition to the sky chasers series and I loved every second of it. This series is intense, dark, and completely engrossing. I like this series better than the “Hunger Games” and the “Marked” series. I highly recommend these books to all readers.     


No comments:

Post a Comment